5UBE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Vehicle:
    2002 WRX

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:26 AM

Hi all

I saw Xide's post on the NASIOC forum announcing this site, so I thought I'd check it out.

I'm an old guy (66) and I recently purchased an '02 WRX which I intend to autocross.

WRXleftrear_zpstujtexs0.jpg

I've had a Subie before (Forester), but it's been a while. Right now, I'm busy trying to prep the new car for DS in 2016. I'm hoping to make some of Cincy's, Lexington's, Charleston's and Columbus' events.

It's been a few years since I ran any autocrosses to speak of, so I'm sure it'll take me some time to get back in the groove of competing instead of working.

Hope to see some of you guys this spring & summer!

Dave B. - aka 5UBE

• luftpirate likes this

#2 KingPest

KingPest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1896 posts
  • Vehicle:
    05 STi
    07 Outback

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:29 AM

Welcome to the site

#3 noTe

noTe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2604 posts
  • Vehicle:
    2001 WRXed Lrswrx
    2007 Toyota 4Runner

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:45 AM

Welcome!  Be sure to check out track days too

#4 altrdgenetics

altrdgenetics

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1273 posts
  • Vehicle:
    2006 Forester XT-L RBP

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:23 AM

I've had a Subie before (Forester)

I'm Sorry, and welcome.

• LGTchris likes this

2006 Forester XT Limited RBP STAGE-0 (Build Thread)
ALTrd Genetics' EDM Track of the Day Thread

#5 DOHCstunr

DOHCstunr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Vehicle:
    SWP 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited 5mt

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:57 AM

Partout     Welcome!

• LGTchris likes this

#6 firefight2440

firefight2440

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Vehicle:
    2016 subaru wrx sti

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:24 PM

Welcome welcome! Make sure to come to the flip daddy's meet up....so We can use your senior discount on food and beers.

#7 just_drive

just_drive

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Vehicle:
    v9 EJ207 Saabaru

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:33 PM

Welcome and nice bugeye!  What's all been done to it other than exhaust?

#8 ericz

ericz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1041 posts
  • Vehicle:
    CGM 05 STI all riced out

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:48 PM

Welcome to Thunderdome
If you find yourself justifying your decisions to "haters", you probably make stupid decisions.

#9 AdamB9B

AdamB9B

BALGT Krew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1780 posts
  • Vehicle:
    '06 LGTB

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:40 PM

Lol Xide

Welcome sir

Also swing by Cars and Coffee Saturday mornings at Fuel Coffee. We have a decent group of Subaru guys who show up
  • just_drive and firefight2440 like this

'06 Legacy GT spec.B:

Build Thread

PM me if you want car photos done.
Click here for my portfolio slideshow

#10 Yson

Yson

Ringland Victim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 893 posts
  • Vehicle:
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT Ltd. 5MT, Atlantic Blue Pearl
    2007 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V8, Nautical Blue Metallic

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:07 PM

Maybe I'll see you on track this season.

#11 5UBE

5UBE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Vehicle:
    2002 WRX

Posted 20 January 2016 - 07:32 AM

Thanks for the welcome!

Welcome!  Be sure to check out track days too

Thanks for the welcome! No track days planned as of now. Not to say that I might not try one sometime in the future, though...

(Concerning the ex-Fozzie):

I'm Sorry, and welcome.

The Forester was a really good daily driver. I also work quite a few stage rallies and run/work some TSDs, so it made a great go-anywhere hauler for EZ-ups, timing equipment, signs, radio stuff, etc. It got totaled 3 years ago when a kid driving a truck lost control and whacked me. Replacement is a '13 Focus liftback - lost AWD but almost doubled my fuel mileage!

Welcome and nice bugeye!  What's all been done to it other than exhaust?

Thanks! Exhaust & a CAI, both of which are leaving town in preparation for DS. The exhaust will likely get replaced with a twin-tip Borla. I'll probably sell the take-offs on ebay/craigslist...

Also swing by Cars and Coffee Saturday mornings at Fuel Coffee. We have a decent group of Subaru guys who show up.

If I'm in Cincy for the weekend, I'll do my best! I live near Ironton, which is about a 2.5 hour drive to metro Cincy...

DB

#12 bigusnickus

bigusnickus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Vehicle:
    2004 WRX Rally Car
    1987 BMW E30 ChumpCar
    2013 F150 FX4 EcoBoost

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:05 AM

Welcome!

You working Sno*Drift?

I'm headed up to spectate Friday and work a MTC Saturday.

Maybe I'll see you there. 

I'm also going to be racing the BRAKIM winter rallysprint next month and Sandblast the month after. 

Maybe I'll see you at some autoxes at the Wilmington air park as well. Haven't been to an event in a few years but I might come to one just to have some fun in the rally car. 

#13 5UBE

5UBE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Vehicle:
    2002 WRX

Posted 20 January 2016 - 02:27 PM

Welcome!

You working Sno*Drift?

Nope, sorry... Sno*Drift is a fun rally to run (I've co-driven it twice), but it's too darn cold to work/spectate.

I'm also going to be racing the BRAKIM winter rallysprint next month and Sandblast the month after. 

I am planning to work at Sandblast - already have a room reserved. Haven't been assigned yet, but I'm usually either a stage captain or a control captain, unless they need me for radio or sweep.

After that, I don't have any plans until STPR. I'm usually co-driver/radio for fast sweep there.

Finally, my buddy Kev and I will be putting on the Ohio Forest Rally later this year. If you're not familiar with it, it's a legal-speeds TSD that's really a tour of some of the old Sunriser stages. Dick Paddock was always the rallymaster, but he passed away last year. Kev & I volunteered to take over for him. There's no date yet - CORC's first planning meeting is this coming Monday, the 25th, so I'm hoping they give us a date at that meeting.

DB

#14 bigusnickus

bigusnickus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Vehicle:
    2004 WRX Rally Car
    1987 BMW E30 ChumpCar
    2013 F150 FX4 EcoBoost

Posted 20 January 2016 - 02:57 PM

I never got the chance to meet Dick but I always heard great things about him. 

Count me in for the TSD unless I have another race going on. I am from around 20 minutes west of Chillicothe so I know the legend of the Sunriser quite well. Wish I was old enough to appreciate it when it was going on. 

#15 5UBE

5UBE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Vehicle:
    2002 WRX

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:26 PM

Kev and I have both run Sunriser/Tulip multiple times. I worked it in '78, then co-drove in '79. I think I only missed one year either working or competing until it ended. I'd have to look back, but I think I drove it either 2 or 3 times. The rallies from the early '80s through the '90s all run together for me. I was working full time, going to school and trying to get in as many events as I could afford...

I'll be sure to post info on the TSD as soon as we work out the details. CORC (the Central Ohio Rally Club) puts on some really good TSDs every year. Their website is: http://www.corc-rally.org/

DB

• Yson likes this

#16 Gigs

Gigs

Crooober Addict

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1341 posts
  • Vehicle:
    2003 STi wagon

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:12 AM

Welcome to owning a bugeye , Now commence hating 10mm bolts and the work of previous owners ! 

"Peasant Wagon" 2003 Wrx Wagon / JDM Parts whore 

#1 Hater USA

http://jngarage.com/

#17 5UBE

5UBE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Vehicle:
    2002 WRX

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:05 PM

Thanks for the welcome!

Welcome to owning a bugeye

I'm pretty happy... searched for this little critter for over 6 months.

Now commence hating 10mm bolts...

After owning 2 RX-7s, a Forester and the same Jetta for 22 years; my 10mm wrenches are due for replacement : Rolleyes :

Now commence hating...the work of previous owners ! 

One of the requirements I had in searching for this car was that it had to be as nearly stock as possible. Outside of a cold air box and an exhaust, I haven't found any mods. Even the sound system is completely stock. It has a clean CarFax and 103k miles - and, as far as I can tell, the car was serviced mainly at Subaru dealers.

BTW... this appears to be a great forum! I've been reading previous threads as time permits...

DB

#18 JHillWRX

JHillWRX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Vehicle:
    2008 WRX Limited Black
    1997 OBS Acadia Green
    Previous: 2003 WRX Wagon
    1985 GL 1800 Wagon

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:42 PM

Sweet mother of god.... i have been looking around for a map/logbook of the sunriser/tulip route for quite some time.

I think it would be really fun to take the route on a daytrip either by myself or as a group. Just for fun, at acceptable speeds.

Does the entire route still exist? Roads closed etc...

Welcome aboard the best Subaru site in Cincy.

#19 5UBE

5UBE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Vehicle:
    2002 WRX

Posted 26 January 2016 - 03:39 PM

Sweet mother of god.... i have been looking around for a map/logbook of the sunriser/tulip route for quite some time.

I think it would be really fun to take the route on a daytrip either by myself or as a group. Just for fun, at acceptable speeds.

Does the entire route still exist? Roads closed etc...

Welcome aboard the best Subaru site in Cincy.

The Sunriser/Tulip routes changed virtually every year. Changes in ranger staff and who was making decisions in local government made course design a real crap-shoot. Even the state forests that were used sometimes changed year-to-year. In some cases, a given stage might be lengthened or shortened - or even given a different name - depending on road availability and the reactions of property owners along the route. So, there's no one all-encompassing route book.

And yes, some roads have been closed and many others have been paved. The one BIG reservation that all of us in the Ohio rally community have is that creating a route like this might encourage people to drive the roads 'at speed'. While we're all enthusiasts at heart, this is the one thing that could kill the event's ongoing status quicker than anything else. Sunriser was always criticized by the sanctioning bodies as being too fast and too dangerous. There were a couple of  deaths, quite a few injuries and too many close calls to count. And that was with on-course accident support and a trained medical sweep staff!

To get the use of the forests, we have to keep the speeds really low. We work with both the rangers and the local police so that they know when and where the event is running. And, we all need to remember that, just like the police, the rangers have radar in their vehicles and carry guns at ALL times. They can also arrest people, just like police - and they're more protective of their roads than you might think!

We still don't have a firm date for the rally, but CORC has indicated that they would like for it to be later in the year.

DB

#20 JHillWRX

JHillWRX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Vehicle:
    2008 WRX Limited Black
    1997 OBS Acadia Green
    Previous: 2003 WRX Wagon
    1985 GL 1800 Wagon

Posted 27 January 2016 - 02:34 PM

So that's why there is no defined route... interesting.

The CORC still does TSD of the area? If so, post up in the 'upcoming events' section as more information becomes available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

CincinnatiSubarus.com is an non-profit independent, unofficial enthusiast site that is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Fuji Heavy Industries or Subaru of America. The names Subaru and Impreza are trademarks of Fuji Heavy Industries and are used for identification purposes only.